It’s finally starting to feel like Fall here in Texas! We have been having some cooler weather the last couple of days and I’m loving it. I made these stuffed bell peppers for dinner last night and they were a big hit so I thought I’d share with you.
While out at the grocery store, these huge, bright green bell peppers caught my eye and I just had to get some. They looked so fresh and I have been wanting to try stuffed bell peppers. I’ve never tried them before so I thought these would be perfect. All together, I believe this meal was under $10 for a family of 3-4.
1 lb. ground chicken (I used Purdue from Kroger)
1 cup of any rice you’d like (I used Knorr rice sides in cheddar broccoli)
1 10.5 oz. can cream of chicken condensed soup
1/4 cup chicken broth
1-1.5 cup shredded mozzarella cheese for topping
3-4 bell peppers ( I used 3 for my family)
*optional (frozen steamed veggies)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the tops off of your bell peppers and remove the seeds/ribs carefully as to not damage the pepper. Rinse inside and out. Set aside. (Test to see if they stand straight up to act as a cup for your filling. If not, you can cut just a small slice off the bottom to help it stand flat.)
- Take a 3 qt. sauce pan and fill with water. Bring it to a boil and add your peppers for 2-3min to soften. Set aside when done.
- Next, cook your ground chicken. Be sure to season to taste. (I used a sprinkling of each: salt, pepper, garlic pepper, chili powder, and oregano) While browning the chicken, I used the microwave directions to cook my rice so it would be done at the same time as the chicken.
- Now add 1 cup of the cooked rice to your cooked chicken and mix.
- Add about 3/4 of the can of soup, add the chicken broth, and mix.
- Place your bell peppers standing up in an ungreased baking dish. (I used a small glass rectangular baking dish, but you can use whatever dish you prefer.) Add the filling to each bell pepper and really pack it in!
- Next I added a small spoonful of the leftover cream of chicken soup to each bell pepper.
- Top each with the shredded mozzarella and bake uncovered for 30 min.
I added a bag off Birds Eye Select steamed Brussel sprouts and our meal was complete!
These peppers were so good and so filling! I hope you enjoy. Let me know how they turn out if you decide to make these.
Thanks for reading,
~The Dimestore Gypsy